Friday, April 24, 2015

Growing Up to Be a Proud Toy Geek


Now what's happening in the video above, is what I call FUN!  The annual G.I. Joe Collectors' Club parachute drop (though this specific clip is from the 2009 drop event at the Hyatt in Kansas City, Missouri​).  'Cause hey, if you never get in touch with your "inner child," you're probably never gonna have any real fun in this life.

Psst!  When most kids enter puberty, they start to feel a curious need to "grow up" a lot faster than necessary.  Mostly because of the way adults treat them.  Most kids have no power over how they are treated, so they want to hurry up and "grow up" and get all that power!

But power is a drug that doesn't necessarily make people well or happy.  So, when puberty hits, many kids feel they've outgrown their toys, and they start doing other so-called "fun" things, usually out of a sense of peer pressure, or sheer curiosity ('cause they haven't figured out yet, how much being an adult actually really SUCKS, compared to being a carefree child).

So some kids start smoking at average age 12, drinking, doing other drugs, and getting into all sorts of other, more or less self destructive behaviors and bad habits.  I don't care what you think you should be able to smoke, it's bad for your health.  You like herbs?  Take vitamins or something!  Almost any naturally occurring plant that has some health benefit has to be regulated and processed properly to get the truly beneficial ingredients to react properly in the human body, and to avoid the possibility of inadvertently abusing the substance.

Don't believe me, ask a certified health professional.

Sick?  Go to see a doctor and get a prescription.  If he or she says, 'Sure, go sit around and toke it up at home!  Get the munchies and be almost totally useless for long periods of time,' that's fine by me.  I mean, if something actually, really is good to treat cancer, then you might want to have a doctor tell you that it's okay before buying ANYTHING from the neighborhood pusher.

So I don't care what anybody thinks about my big boy, toy geek hobbies and creative interests.  I choose sobriety.  I choose creativity.  I choose to live life, in full command of myself AND my inner child, and not miss whole parts of my valuable life from being "high" or "hung over."  After all, as Ferris Bueller put it, in John Hughes' hilarious 1986 classic coming of age film, Ferris Bueller's Day Off, "Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it."  Though I'm not at all sure his hooky playing behavior in the movie is really the best example of how to not miss a single moment of invaluable human life.  Oh well.  To each his own.  And I choose action figures!

No comments:

Post a Comment